The thing that I find the hardest about losing weight is the food, or specifically the type of food, you have to eat to lose the pounds. Am I the only that imagines eating bowls of leaves and twigs when you hear the word "diet"? ***Shudders***
My first week on the Super Shred diet I was craving burgers and fries, which sadly I was eating every week. Driving by my favorite burger spot made me angry, hungry, and sad. Fortunately, the Super Shred diet allows me to eat a bunch of my favorite foods, either in smaller quantities or in lower calorie versions.
Here are three of my favorite healthy recipes (that have kept me from running to Shake Shack):
The Chocolate Razzy Smoothie
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 4 tablespoons fat-free vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup fat-free or low-fat milk (highly suggest: light almond milk)
- 3 ice cubes
- 2 cups Cheerios cereal
- 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk (or light almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg or 1/4 cup fat-free egg product
- 1/2 cup raisins, if desired
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray bottoms only of 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Crush cereal. In large bowl, stir together cereal, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in remaining ingredients just until moistened. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
Salmon Baked in Foil
- 3 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 salmon (about 1-1/2 pounds), with or without skin (remove before eating)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, white wine vinegar, olive oil, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Lay the salmon on a double sheet of foil on top of a baking sheet.
- Fold all 4 sides of the foil up and pour the honey mixture evenly over the salmon.
- Seal the foil by folding it as though you are wrapping a present. Place the salmon in the oven.
- Cook until the salmon is just cooked through, about 15 minutes. Take care not to overcook the salmon.
- Unwrap the salmon from the foil, cut into pieces and serve hot or at room temperature.